Thursday, December 10, 2009

Does an employer have to make up a waiter's wages if tips are subpar?

I work at a restaurant in Illinois. The location that I work in is notorious for the amount of people below the poverty line. Anyways, I make $3.15 an hour from the employer, and everything else from tips. However, during a seven-hour shift, I usually only make about $15, if that. Does my employer have to make up for my wages? If so, does anybody have any reliable source to back them up? If not, how am I supposed to live?Does an employer have to make up a waiter's wages if tips are subpar?
Nope. You would need the labour laws for your state/county. You should be able to find that on the state's website or in the library.





You find a job else where. No one is forcing you to work in that specific location.Does an employer have to make up a waiter's wages if tips are subpar?
You're being underpaid, assuming you're 18 yrs old. From the Ill. Dept. of Labor website:





What is minimum wage for tipped employees?





$4.50 per hour. Tipped employees must be paid minimum wage, but an employer may take credit for the employee鈥檚 tips in an amount not to exceed 40% of the wage. For more information, click here. 820 ILCS 105/4 and 56 Ill. Adm. Code 210.200.





So bare minimum, they should be paying you $4.50 plus tips, and while I find the rest confusingly written, I think it implies your final pay should be at least $7.50 (the current minimum without tips), which would mean they could have to make up your tips.
yes, but only so that you make minimum wage- so if minimum wage is $5.85 %26amp; they pay you $3.15 an hour, you work a 7 hours shift, you need to make at least $18.90 in tips. If you only made $15, then they owe you $3.90.
I would hope not who says you haeve to work there. go to work for someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
skin rash